A unique event, called Milan Mela (Unity Fair), was held on Saturday, Nov 22, 2014, sponsored by the South Asia Center (SAC) and organized by the Friends of Bangla School (FoBS). The event took place in the auditorium of Meyerson Building (aka the School of Design) in the campus of the University of Pennsylvania. More than 200 people comprised of the coordinators, teachers, parents and students of six Bangla Schools in the tri-state area, and patrons and guests attended. Such an event is being organized by FoBS every year in order to provide a common platform for area Bangla Schools for networking and showcasing the activities and language proficiency of their students.
This year, the event has been sponsored by South Asia Center of the University of Pennsylvania, to advance the cause of language learning and to encourage multi-ethnic diversity by promoting such community programs that showcase ethnic language, culture and tradition.
Participant schools of the Milan Mela 2014 were:
1. Ankur Bangla School (covering area: Lansdale, Hatfield and
2. BADV Bangla School (covering area: Wilmington, DE)
3. BKPA Bangla School (covering area: Princeton, Plainsboro and
4. Kishalay Bangla School (covering area: King of Prussia, Norristown,
Exton and surrounding, PA)
5. Sampriti (HARI) Bangla School (covering area: Central PA)
6. Saptak Bangla School (covering area: Upper Darby, Millbourne and
Among the special attractions were decorative and informative school booths, fun-filled interactive language based learning workshops, collective theme song, and colorful cultural performances by all the participating schools. A special souvenir has been published on this occasion, by FoBS, with sponsorship support from the South Asia Center.