The Berkeley-AIPS Urdu Language Program in Pakistan (BULPIP-AIPS) is accepting applications for its Fall 2016 intensive Urdu language immersion program based at Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS) in Pakistan. Jointly administered by the America Institute of Pakistan Studies (AIPS) and theBerkeley Urdu Language Program in Pakistan (BULPIP) at the University of California, Berkeley, this Urdu language program will offer daily classroom instruction, five days a week, for approximately fifteen weeks. Classes will be small and individual tutorials provided. There will be regular assignments outside of class and special emphasis will be placed on connecting with the local speech community as well as self-management of learning. Participants will need to take part in all program events, such as attending films, plays and other cultural activities. The program will award annual fellowships to up to ten US-based students.
Fellowships Will Cover The Following Expenses:
- Round trip economy class airfare to Lahore, Pakistan on a US carrier
- Visa fee for Pakistan
- Admission, tuition, and hostel fees for LUMS
- Travel & Emergency Evacuation Insurance coverage of up to $500 for the duration of the program
- A monthly maintenance allowance of $1,000
- All excursions and activities that fall within the program
- Online submission of applications will begin from January 15th – February 15th, 2016
- All applications MUST be received by 5pm (Pacific Standard Time), February 15th, 2016
- Skype interview of shortlisted candidates will be scheduled at the end of February
- Applicants will be informed of the outcome of their application status by March 10
- Program Dates: August 21, 2016 through December 12, 2016 (approx. fifteen weeks)
- 2016 Berkeley-AIPS Urdu Language Program in Pakistan Application Form.
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- Official transcripts
- Two recommendations
- Application Fee: All applicants must pay a non-refundable $50 application fee to cover processing expenses. Mail checks to:
Berkeley-AIPS Urdu Language Program- 2016
Institute of South Asia Studies
University of California, Berkeley
10 Stephens Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720-2310
- To be eligible for the program all applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents and meet ONE of the outlined criteria:
- Have completed a Bachelor's program from an accredited U.S. university
- Be enrolled in a U.S. accredited graduate level university program
- Be a scholars/faculty affiliated with an institution of higher learning in the U.S.
- Applicants must demonstrate intermediate level expertise in Urdu before starting the program.
- Ability to participate in the BULPIP-AIPS Program is contingent upon an applicant’s ability to receive a visa for Pakistan.
- Short listed candidates will be required to participate in a Skype interview with the selection committee
- All qualified students, regardless of race, sex, color, creed, age, handicap, or sexual orientation are welcome
- Note: Please check for detailed eligibility requirements at Berkeley-AIPS Urdu Language Program in Pakistan, 2016
Please direct all questions and inquiries to: firstname.lastname@example.org