The Center works to achieve its mission by
- Coordinating a wide range of course offerings in language, literature, religion, history or art, etc. Specialized issues are addressed through the University's research programs, professional schools, and interdisciplinary centers.
- Conducting teacher training and outreach activities. Outreach is central to the Center's mission. Ongoing collaborations with other educational institutions, government agencies, and nonprofit organizations in the United States and abroad keep the Center in the forefront of academic and cultural developments.
- Facilitating learning and research opportunities for graduate and undergraduate students through fellowships and field research opportunities, both locally and abroad.
- Maintaining an extensive resource base of library and web-based materials and Museum art resources. We offer affiliated visiting scholars the chance to use the University's libraries, and its museum, which holds an extensive South Asia collection. We also collaborate closely with the Indian and Himalayan section of the Philadelphia Museum of Art.
- Supporting language study by graduate students through awarding FLAS and SASLI fellowships and by undergraduate students through coursework and internship opportunities, both locally and abroad
Themes of the South Asia Center 2022 - 2026 Cycle Include:
- HUMAN ENVIRONMENTS OF SOUTH ASIA
- MASS CULTURE, REPRESENTATION, AND THE ARTS
- HERITAGE AS A RESOURCE
- DIMENSIONS OF INEQUALITY: RACE, CASTE, AND COMMUNITY